Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Absolutely Fabulous and Flesh Art

There are some patrons that you just want slap upside the head for lack of brains and originality. I was approached by a young woman who wanted of all things a tattoo book. We have books on the history and culture of tattooing both modern and ancient but she didn't want that oh no... She wanted a book with pictures of tattoo's. She wanted a catalog of tat's. I mean really. Could some be more unoriginal. I'm all for those people who want to suffer for their art. I mean it's a free country and all, if you want to pay someone a crap load of cash to take an ink filled needle which they will then use to pierce your body with "art" great. After the infection abates and the scabs flake off you will have a permanent body art. Congratulations. Although I don't think I could do it. What if I got tired of the image? Worse yet what if the image got warped as I aged. I mean I liked unicorns and dragons as a teen and if I could afford to get them tattooed across my...well whatever... by the time I got to my 40's I doubt you could tell which one was the dragon and which the unicorn. What if the image no longer pertained to who I am today? Old boyfriends name? Ick. This girl just wanted to copy someone else's artwork because she didn't have the originality to figure out what she wanted. I really dislike having to deal with the Edina and Patsy's of the world. (Absolutely Fabulous 1990's BBC sitcom) I can not stand those women who buy, adorn, shave, alter their physical being to a extreme extent because it's a fad.

No comments: