Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Biology and the many acts of Reproduction...

A teen came up to me and ask for books on biology, so stupidly I went and got her a biology book. She looked at it strangely and said in a distracted manner. "I need a book the reproduction cycle. " "Any particular kind of reproduction cycle?" I ask. Watching her face contort in confusion. I am imagining the inner dialog she must be having with herself. " What do you mean what type? " I wonder if she's imagining if there are any other ways to well.... do it that she hasn't already done. At that point I have to intercede because it's just getting too painful to watch her mentally go through her list of sexual exploits. So I ask "I mean do you want the reproduction cycle of a plant, or anphibian, a mammal, or a fish?" I go on and inform her that there are all different kinds of plants, animals and single celled organisms that have their own kind of reproduction cycles. Then I ask her which one would she like information on...I actually witness the curcuits in her brain spark. She says "Oh yeah, I want information on the reproduction cycle of humans!" Okay I'm thinking, if I get her a book on the human body is what is she going to do with the knowledge she attains? Ewww. maybe I shouldn't even go there. We reach the anatomy section and I go for a basic book on the human body - you know the kind that diagrams in simple renderings of what's where, what it does and why it exists. I have to open the book to the reproductive section and viola! I can hear the light bulb sputter on in her brain. Oh yeah that exactly what I'm looking for! - Amazing isn't it?

No comments: