Saturday, November 7, 2009

Charity and the Spiritual Warrior

Dude.

It's not even 9:15 on a Saturday morning and already the day has started with a cup o' crazy.

This morning a very sane looking, clean-cut, middle aged man came up and asked for a directory of global charities.

And if he'd just kept his questions based in reality I could have handled it.

But nooooo....

He begins describing himself as a spiritual warrior fighting dark forces or some such crap. I couldn't quite follow his whole manifesto. Something about how there is this "guy" that's putting pieces of himself into different Global Charity organizations in order to corrupt them and how nobody know's he's doing it. And I'm thinking ewww....and asking myself which parts of himself is this guy leaving and that it just can't be sanitary.

Mr. Spiritual Warrior goes on about how there are angels around him fighting this war and that means there are a lot of casualties and would I know anything about that? To which my reply is:

NO SIR, I'M SORRY. THAT IS NOT AN AREA I AM FAMILIAR WITH.

At which point I politely explain that we don't have the sources that he needs and that perhaps the city library next door would be better equipt to help him (in his battle with the dark forces).

I'm not proud. I'll stoop pretty low to pawn a crazy person off onto a city library. My reasoning is that they are paid better and better equipt to deal with him if he get's violent. And yes, I like my spleen right where it is.

There is a part of me that is sensitive to the needs of people with mental illness and the other, larger, part of me that wishes for a panic switch at the reference desk because the tightrope known as sanity this guy is walking on is gonna snap... and soon.

No comments: